Saturday, 19 September 2009

Poet Sandal Maker

On Thursday afternoon two of my roommates and I went to the Poet Sandal Maker. This guy is very well known in Athens, many of the girls in our program have already gone to get sandals from him. They have around 30 different styles and they are all leather and made right in their shop. They have had clients such as Jackie O, who now has her own style shoe that I hope to get next time. They didn't have my size in that style and offered to make it in 20 minutes but we didn't really want to wait. So the shoes are also custom fitted to your foot and the straps can be readjusted and they punched more holes in mine since they were too big and then they cut off the extra at the end. Finally they pound the nails in. It is a really cool experience and the sandals are really well made and not that expensive. It is such a tiny store too but they do so much business. While we were there a british tv show was filming a little segment on it so that made it even more crowded since they had camera guys and mic. guys. The poet sandal guy, well I think he is the son of the original who died, asked where we were from and it turns out the first place he went when he was in the states was Finland, Ohio. I have no idea why he was there but he knew where Ohio was!

So the other funny story from the Sandal guy trip was that near the end there was this middle age man and woman and their senile old mother. I had tried on the gladiator style since they didn't have the jackie o's and I thought if I were to ever get gladiator sandals I would want to get them here (even though they are Roman). I was somewhat dissapointed that this senile old woman had also picked out the gladiators because I really didn't want to be attracted to the style of this old woman. I was mentioning this to my roommates on the way back but apparently I had missed what was going on. The son and daughter of this old lady had kept asking their mother why she had picked out this style that was probably not going to be comfortable for her and apparently she was gun-ho about the gladiators because she saw that I was wearing them and insisted that she wanted them since that was what I was getting haha.

Overall it was a great trip, my shoes are pretty comfortable and it was something you have to do in Athens so whenever anyone comes to visit me we can go back to the Poet sandal guy!

One of my roommates got pictures of us with the sandal guy so I will upload those later, but here are the ones I have right now.

sandal guy

No comments:

Post a Comment