So the previous week I realized I have stuff to tell you all about Greece as a country and they somewhat highlight what I did last week as well but I can't remember everything now.
K so the Greeks are very religious. On Sunday's nothing is open. I tried to buy groceries and then we tried to get a gyro that night but neither were open. Also religion connects to the busses. So on basically every bus in the front there is a small picture of Christ, or Mary and Christ. Also whenever the bus passes a church all the old women and some old men, start crossing themselves, but not like once as I've seen in the states but multiple times. Apparently some people in the younger generations do it as well but I haven't seen any. Its not that they just happened to see a church they have the route memorized.
So the buses are also interesting in the seating tendencies. So I feel like in the states if you sit down with two open seats you slide all the way in. However the Greeks sit on the aisle side. Which I guess makes sense because if you are the first one there you should get the benefit of not having to slide out. However then when someone else wants so sit they have to slide in which is just awkward to me. And its not that the person sitting in the aisle will hop down to let you in. They only slightly move their legs.
Exciting things I did that week include going to Carfour which is the french version of Target. It is of course smaller than a Target but they have the same type of things and it is pretty big for Greek. We were able to find things for the apartment like potholders, a new shower-head, and bathmat. We were super excited about the shower-head because it was only 4 euros and it easily fit on the cord and seemed to increase the pressure a bit. However we had some issues with our shower. So the mold along the ceiling and down where the pipes run to the middle of the tub has caused some of the titles to start popping out so they don't lie flat with the other tiles. So before I could even start showering three of the tiles fell down and cracked in the tub. So then there was just an open hole in our tub. So plumbers have been to our apartment to check the pipes out and right now the hole is covered in duck tape so we can continue to shower but tomorrow the landlord's plumber is coming and they say that it will only take a day to fix but we will see what happens.
On Monday we had class at the National Archaeological Museum but apparently it didn't open until 1:30 on Mondays now that it is not the summer so class was canceled and I had to go back later in the week. Ive been to this Museum 4 times now but they do have a lot of cool stuff.
I think that is the most exciting stuff from that week but I will post more later if I think of it.
Wednesday, 7 October 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment